Teachers and Advisors
Prof. Dr. Georg Busch, Laboratory for Solid State Research, ETH Zürich, whoes brilliant lectures aroused my interest in Solid State Physics
The main topic at the time were Magnetic Semiconductors such as the europium chalcogenides EuX (X = O, S, Se, Te).
Stephan von Molnár, PhD, Florida State University, Tallahassee (1994 – 2020); formerly at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY (1965 – 1993)
His expertise comprised magneto-transport properties of magnetic and diluted magnetic semiconductors, magnetic polarons, magnetically driven insulator-metal transition, thermal properties of amorphous/crystalline solids, and magnetic nanoparticles.
My research topic at that time was besides magnetic semiconductors the insuator – metal transition in SmS and valence fluctuations in rare earth compounds.
The „IBM gang“ (San Francisco pier)
Prof. Manuel Cardona, PhD, Max-Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, who introduced me to the light scattering in solids (1975 – 1980)
Manuel had a worlwide outstanding expertise in semiconductor physics and in light scattering.
Colleagues & Partners
Professorships (C3) at Physics Institute IIA (1990 – 2006); (the so-called „flow-type heater“)
- Danilo Pescia, 1990-92 (from FZ Jülich / to ETH Zürich); Magnetism in 2 Dimensions
- Richard Berndt 1996-99 (from EPFL Lausanne & IBM Zürich / to CA-University of Kiel); Scanning tunneling microscopy of surface states and molecular clusters
- Laurens Molenkamp 1994-99 (from Philips Research Lab Eindhoven / to Univ. of Würzburg); Semiconductor spintronics, quantum transport and magnetooptics in 2DEGs, thermoelectrics in quantum dots
- Bernd Büchner 2000-03 (from Univ. of Cologne / to IFW Leibniz Institute Dresden); High temperature superconductivity, Quantum spin systems
- Markus Grüninger 2004-06 (from Univ. of Cologne / Univ. of Cologne); Collective orbital excitations in Mott-Hubbard Insulators
Ivan K. Schuller (UC San Diego) and Charles M. Falco (U. Arizona): Pioneers of Metallic Superlattices
Structure and physical properties of sputtered metallic superlattices, Ivan K.Schuller and Charles M.Falco
Surface Science 113, 443 (1982)
1994 A. von Humboldt Research Award at RWTH Aachen for C.M. Falco
2002 A. von Humboldt Research Award at RWTH Aachen for I.K. Schuller
Yvan Bruynseraede (1971 – 2003 Head of the Laboratory of Solid-State Physics and Magnetism, K.U. Leuven, Belgium)
Stuart S. P. Parkin (MPI Halle; formerly at IBM Almaden Research Centre, San Jose, CA)
The somewhat other IBM Fellow! 2004 A. von Humboldt Research Award at RWTH Aachen